Search This Blog

Thursday, March 8, 2018

#Her Story #Our Story

         All my life, I have felt the pull to be quiet and compliant. Don't be this and don't be that. Don't be so vain, so self-conscious. Be confident. Help others. Mind your own business. Don't be so bossy. Don't be so harsh. Dress like a girl. Be a good, sweet girl. Now mind you, I enjoy being a girl, even a good, sweet woman, but I feel a little robbed of who I might have been, if I spent more time being me.
      Some of these things or all of them are just part of growing up, but why? Why couldn't people let me be my own person? As a girl growing up with no mom at home, everyone had a turn to fill my head with their ideas of how I needed to be a lady and not an awkward tomboy. I enjoyed being a tomboy and becoming a woman did not come naturally to me.
      Maybe, I needed advice, but I venture that boys are not treated this way. A boy is allowed to simply wear pants all day and play. A boy is allowed to be a boy. A boy is not scolded down into submissiveness. A boy can be noisy. A boy can be bold. Yes, a boy must learn to be respectful and responsible and courteous, but that doesn't really change how he dresses or how he thinks.
     I think that girls in the United states are traditionally molded into submissive, sweet ladies. I think that is wrong. I am not sure if I have carried on this tradition with my girls, but I hope not. I have two daughters and today, International Women's Day, has brought me to the conclusion that I am a feminist.  I really like this Google video.

Celebrate International Women's Day!

    From now on, I join the fight to see women be the best, most confident versions of themselves, beginning with my own daughters. Girls are fierce and brave and I desire to prove that. 



Ladies, be bold. Be yourselves and know that who you are is already gorgeous, with no makeup or any special behavior needed! Girls are amazing.


1 comment:

  1. Disclaimer: If you happened to give me advice as a child, I love you and thank you for your wisdom. This blog piece is about stereotypes, not any certain person from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete